If you have a mac you have to try it. Geektool is a (great) little app to show some informations directly on your desktop using UNIX code.
You don’t know Unix? No problem, after the jump you find the code you need to do what you want (how to display the external IP,Â Recent music Plays, theÂ Weather, how toÂ display comics and so on…)Â .
The only bad thing is that the last version of geektool is notÂ officiallyÂ available for Leopard (just forÂ Panther or Tiger). If you have Leopard, i know that forÂ someone it works and for someone it doesnt. So, if you want, try at your own risk.
In case you can have a look at this nice tutorial for beginners.
Full list after the jump…
And then you can read some good articles from macosxhints:
- 10.5: Monitor Time Machine activity via GeekTool
- A network interface status script for GeekTool
- Show a one-line weather forecast on the desktop
- Use GeekTool to track network data transfer rates
- Use GeekTool to see new Mail messages on the desktop